Friday, December 23, 2011

Four years at SASTRA and Music


Music has been an integral part of my life… Especially at SASTRA, away from home, it was the spine that supported my soul at the best and worst of times.
For the first time at SASTRA, I had to live in a hostel, with strangers. Initially, it used to be really difficult. Fighting for a bathroom, waiting for food in the mess, praying for everyone in the room to sleep off so that I could catch some winks of comfortable sleep… Not all days were lucky and I used to sing June ponaal, July Kaatre to remind myself ‘Arai kulle mazhai varuma, veliye vaa kudhukalama, Indha bhoomi pandhu, engal koodai pandhu, andha vaanam vandhu koorai seidhadhingu!’ This gave me some sort of relief and comforted me that the whole world remained to be explored and all this is only a trailor of experience.
Powercuts are frequent at SASTRA, and once I was caught in total darkness inside a bathroom… Left with no one to bring me to light (literally), I sang out ‘Thaniye, Thannan Thaniye’, managing to scare away my dear roommate who had ventured out to save me. As I already mentioned, it was difficult to sleep amongst the cacophony in my room. For this, I took the help of an audio cassette and my favourite walkman… And the songs? From Kaakha Kaakha and Sivaji. They used to put me to sleep. Sometimes Lagaan…
Then slowly cultural events started unfolding at college.. And two of my classmates were auditioning for Western dance team. The very first time I heard that song, I felt exultation, something as if I had known it for years and only now it had manifested as a song. I wondered how I had missed it for sooo long; it was the ‘Kya Mujhe Pyaar Hai’ song from Woh Lamhe… Wow, whenever I heard it, I felt I was somewhere, where only happiness existed…
With the release of Happy days, not only me, but the entire college fell in love with the album.. I loved listening to ‘O My Friend’, especially on a rainy evening…. J The world was at peace then….
Hum jo chalne lage from Jab We Met and Tumse Hi, Maa from Taare Zameen Par, Tumko paaya hai to jaise khoya hoon from OSO were intermittent favourites… With the influence of one of my friends, I started listening to some old Tamil songs as well… Mandram Vandha Thendral was a true love in this regard..
Then, in a chance encounter I came across someone who made me think the Kya Mujhe Pyaar Hai song was real… But I shrugged it off as a whim…
As I went into second year, I had interesting roommates who were all interested in music. Kangal Irandal was one song I drowned myself in, though for a short period of time. The love for the song wouldn’t have diminished had it not been for a big issue cropping out of that song in the background…
Then, after Varanam Aayiram released, fell deeply in love with Adiye Kolludhey.. it used to keep running in my room, played by me or any other of the occupants…
Around this time, overcome by Guzaarish song from Ghajini, we celebrated Sonu Nigam Day on 27th December. J The story is a long one, so let it remain in memory…
Masakali was a song, which when I heard first, thought was some foreign language.. J I heard it properly again and marvelled at the inspiration it could give me..
How did I forget to mention Kodana Kodi song from Saroja, which made all of us dance like crazy… Saturday nights were item number time… I had a super duper playlist and we used to dance from cot to pole to window… to the terror of our opposite room akkas.. J
Unfaithful by Rihanna and Unakkena Naan were always played consecutively and we managed to get a track where both were mixed up…
Desi gal was an intermittent favourite.. Where’s the party, ah namma room-la party…!!! Ya Ali, Bheegi Bheegi and Tu hi mera Shab Hai, along with Fashion ka Jalwa were also on my lips for a long time… In my second year, I was so crazy about music that I went to my IV sem Math exam after memorising lines from Goodbye Nanba after a chance fancy I took to it… Surprisingly, the song helped me concentrate easily in my exam and I walked off with a clear S.
Third year was when I tried listening to Cascada- Everytime we touch and The Runaway by Corrs.. Loved these.. Specially The Runaway… Wished I could really run away… with you.. J ;)
Around this time, I watched Life in a Metro… What pleasure… Loved Rishtey to Nahin soooooooo much… The song made me feel I was spiralling into memories… had such an instinctive music that churned the soul. I felt it gave me the going around feeling which is supposed to be attained from intoxicants… J
Hasili fissile… watta song!!! More than the song, it was the mischievous memories associated with it that make me smile.. the way I got a permission overnight to go home and escaped to Coimbatore instead with a guy whom I had hardly known for two days, with my friend reassuring me that he’s totally trustworthy!!! J On the return trip, got a double treat with another far away friend ( ;) ) joining us… Awesome two days..!!!
Aayirathil Oruvan brought to me the celebration of life, literally, in its theme music (the King Returns)… Un mela Aasai dhaan was a great number..
In third year, there was a course taught by the dean.. He once played songs for us during the exam.. Pudhu Vellai Mazhai, Ghanan Ghanan and Radha Kaise na Jale.. And we in our team, forgot to write the exam lost in humming and singing, until he told us we had half an hour left.. J ;)
How can I forget Sahana Vavathu, composed by my classmate… a potential guitarist… unfortunately we were not singers good enough or well-suited for him..
As I entered fourth year, initially taken in with happy songs from I hate Love stories… I didn’t feel any proper emotion towards any song…
It was later I felt a great meaning come in to all songs I loved earlier as they merged in to one thought, one mind I cherished…
Living in a single room in final year, I have thought several times, Rishtey toh nahi, rishton ki parchaiyaan mile…
Around the time of leaving hostel, I fell in love with Enamo Edho from Ko, Anbulla Kanava…
Humming these songs as my farewell, carrying Kya Mujhe Pyaar Hai in my heart… I left SASTRA, thanking it for all the beautiful memories it gave me..
The music that made it initially possible for me to sustain my life at hostel, later became the symbol of the beautiful memories it was associated with… I dedicate this to all the people who gave/give meaning to the rhythm of my life.. J
Cheers!!!

4 comments:

  1. Nice post! Bringing back lot of memories... Aana enakku appove theriyum nee appaavi illa adipaavi nu ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, Varsha, u've learnt some practical Tamil :)

    ReplyDelete